Login    Register

True Backup Recommendations

Problems, solutions, software
Forum rules
NAS4Free Official SiteSet-Up GuideFAQsForum Rules
  • Author
True Backup Recommendations

Postby Captain Ron » 19 Aug 2012 20:07

So my NAS had my first drive failure of a RaidZ pool. My data survived the process, but it made me start thinking about a real backup option for my data.

I just wanted to know people's thoughts on solutions for this. The idea is for my data to exist in some other form that would allow for easy, if not quick, recovery of my data.

Some thoughts I have had were:
DVD Archives
Backup to External Drive
Tape Backup

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? And what does N4F support (if anything) natively?
Breaker: NAS4Free 9.1.0.1.531
VMWare Virtual Machine running on Ubuntu with the following HW:
AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300, MSI 785GT-E63, 3 GB RAM
Dual NIC: Intel PCI-E GigE Card & onboard Reatek 8111DL (GigE)
Fujitsu 160 GB HD (Linux and VM)
4 x Maxtor 500 GB HD (ZFS Storage/Share)
Antec Sonata II Case
NewUser
Captain Ron

Re: True Backup Recommendations

Postby Onichan » 19 Aug 2012 22:23

DVD nowadays sounds like the worse way. Horrible density and a simple scratch on the top of the disk can destroy it. Though many things can happen to a HHD I still think DVD would be worse.

Tape is way to expensive for personal use I would think

Personally I backup important data to my old externals that I used to use primarily before I got a NAS. I also have cloud backup for if my whole house were to burn down, but I think an external for most would suffice. You could even have two externals that are rotated monthly to a friend/family's house which would protect you from your house burning.
PowerUser
Onichan

Postby shakky4711 » 20 Aug 2012 07:53

Hello,

my strategy is never to set all my money to one horse only...

First of all one important backup is the backup from your NAS4Free config, do this first.

Generally I do not trust CD/DVD for 100%, but it is better to have one more backup on CD/DVD than no backup.

I backup my personal data on DVD-RAM, this medium is not well known at home usage, but perfect for backup. Formated with UDF it is designed to survive 100.000 writes, long term lifetime 30 years and each written byte is verified while write, when it fails this sector is marked as broken, similar to a harddisk. Furthermore a mounted DVD-RAM can used like a regular harddisk with read/write by filebrowser, no need for a burning program. Many DVD burners are able to write DVD-RAM. Disadvantage is that not all operating system can use DVD-RAM with UDF, on Debian/GNU Linux it runs out of the box :D

Some USB pendrives are used for backup from personal data likewise. On a 16GB Transcend stick all the data from our family fits, only audio, video and the large photo collection needs a separate location.
I use a second NAS and some usb harddisks for storage, furthermore some different tape drives, but only because I got them for free.

When you use harddisks you must choose a file system and decide where you plug in the drives. All of my Desktops and Laptops are equipped with Linux, so I use ext3 and plug in the drives to my clients, data is transfered by network. I do not want to plugin the drives to my NAS because I made some bad experience with the USB implementation from FreeBSD, furthermore my NAS machines are located in the baseground. From time to time I

BTW: Please note that data can be affected by silent corruption, I use md5deep (available for Linux/BSD/Windows) to calculate checksums for my data, write them to file and store it together with the data. When you later verify the data against the checksumfile you can be sure data is not corrupted.

A second tip, always store one backup media outside your house, the best backup does not work when it gets stolen, house is burning and the rest from the drives is killed by water...

Shakky
PowerUser
shakky4711

Postby sdw333 » 09 Sep 2012 09:39

I really really want to do proper backups of my data. I'm thinking LTO5.

I anyone aware of support on NAS4Free/FreeBSD for an internal SAS based (PCI card too) LTO5 tape drive - and software that can backup? i.e. a local (non-network) based tape backup solution?

Or, is anyone using a software backup product for which NAS4Free on FreeBSD that acts as a "client" to a server hosting a tape drive?

I know that NetBackup Enterprise Server 7 supports FreeBSD 9 as a client, but then I guess I would have to change NAS4Free/FreeBSD from embedded to full - which is no bad thing in itself.

Maybe I should start by asking - does anyone actually backup their NAS4Free to tape? If so how? I not looking for a detailed solution, just to know whether anyone has actually achieved this, and very roughly what kit they use.
My NAS4Free first boot on Sat 8th Sep 2012.
NewUser
sdw333

Postby sdw333 » 10 Sep 2012 18:46

Found a suitable SAS card, LSI SAS2004 which is supported by FreeBSD 9.
Cheapest SAS LTO5 is Tandberg - but their compatibility list only lists FreeBSD with some other software, not Bacula.
Googling reveals quite a few people with LSI SAS and LTO5 and Bacula - so I guess LTO and LTO5 support is taken as given due to SCSI.
Fairly expensive though.

So - I'm considering just using two large external USB 3.0 drives.
I'll do some testing first...
My NAS4Free first boot on Sat 8th Sep 2012.
NewUser
sdw333

Postby shakky4711 » 09 Nov 2012 14:16

Hi,

does anyone actually backup their NAS4Free to tape?

Yes, but not direct. I have a dedicated FreeBSD SCSI tape server running with a NFS share, I use the good old TAR on this machine for the job.

So - I'm considering just using two large external USB 3.0 drives.

This is the easiest and cheapest way, I recommend to use different rsync jobs for the drives. One drive with --delete switch to have a 1:1 copy from your data and the second one without, so when you sometimes have a lost file which was deleted by mistake/virus/wrong user action the data is still on the second backup drive.

Furthermore for top important data have a third and fourth copy somewhere else and on another medium located. Water kills harddrives but optical data carriers are still intact for example.

Shakky
PowerUser
shakky4711

Postby rootofmyhomenas » 26 Mar 2013 18:47

I'm going to install my first nas4free this weekend. I have dell pe1900 with raid-5 for data and usb 32Gb disk for system. I'm planing to use dell power vault 114t with 2 LTO3 drives for the backup. I would like to hear the advice from savvy members on how to configure the backup, please
NewUser
rootofmyhomenas

Return to Data recovery and backups